All's well that ends well (?)

Last weekend, I happened upon a little feathered friend hobbling on the alley. This one seemed like a baby that fell off  its next / a perch.

Not knowing much about birds, I figured the least I could do to help is to offer this fella little protection from the wheel of many a car that might come by that alley. So, I picked him up and placed him a grassy knoll nearby. Then I rode my bicycle a bit more, which is when it dawned on me that the little guy might make a good play toy / meal for the neighborhood cats/dogs.
So, I went back home, gathered some rescue material and rode back to the spot where I had placed our little guy and prepared a temporary safe lodging for him, at least until his parents come looking for him.
I placed our little guy inside the box and assumed cats can't claw their way into the box or bat it around because of the two bricks atop the box.

It wasn't a very warm Sunday and having done my "duty", I figured the birdie will be okay from critters and the lawn crew who show up on Tuesdays. But little did I know about the lawn crew - they showed up on Monday morning and before I could hurry up to the location of the bird in the box, they had discarded the box.

Well, had I been persistent, I could have tracked down the box and really ensured the bird was okay. I could not do that. 
I assumed that the bird was okay. God/Mother Nature was watching over him/her, the lawn crew would have checked the box before discarding, the parents would have rescued our little guy.
I felt saddened a bit.
However, I said to myself that I had done my best to give the birdie a good opportunity. The rest I left to higher powers.

I will leave you with this song from Pink Floyd, which I feel is appropriate for the moment sans the narcotics perhaps. Not judging!



Linking with Saturday's Critters.

That's all for now.

Be well!




Comments

  1. Wow, that was a rollercoaster! It sounds like your heart was in the right place trying to help the bird. Maybe next time you can leave it where you find it and call a wildlife rehabber for advice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...you went beyond the call of duty, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Tom, you went beyond the call. Nevertheless, I think you accumulated a good bit of karma. An interesting story, indeed.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts